Improving the health of soils is fundamental to the agronomic and financial sustainability of horticultural enterprise. Which soil health measurement methods are relevant to Nursery Stock? What management options are available to improve soil health within context of rotations and/or soil sterilisation.
The event will be led by Dr Martin Wood, Soil Scientist at the Earthcare Technical (see bio below) and is hosted by Coles Nurseries (see more below).
Who should come? The workshops are aimed at growers, but may also be useful for advisors. We expect that participants will already have a basic understanding of the link between soil health and plant health and will be looking to understand more about this and how soil testing can be used to strengthen their growing system. Workshops are open to all, however in the event of high demand, preference is given to AHDB levy payers and Associate Members. Find out more about the benefits of AHDB Associate Membership.
• Introduction to Great Soils project
• How to measure Soil Health?
• Soil Health measurement methods relevant to Nursery stock
Afternoon session outside
• Main features of soil including structure assessment
• Management options to improve Soil Health within context of rotations and/or soil sterilisation
• Demonstrate measurement of infiltration, bulk density
• Summing up/closing
For more information visit http://horticulture.ahdb.org.uk/great-soils