Our vision is a farming sector that minimises its carbon emissions and maximises its carbon sequestration, whilst producing quality food and a wide range of public goods, all produced by resilient and profitable farm businesses.
What we do
- Peer-to-peer training and learning events on whole-farm and soil carbon footprinting;
- Farmer outreach and support projects;
- Bespoke advice and action planning with farmers, landowners and companies, centred around measuring and improving soil health, greenhouse gas emissions and other ecosystem services;
- Partnerships with research institutions to further our understanding of soil carbon sequestration and best practice protocols for measurement, reporting and verification.
A selection of past clients and funders
We work with a range of organisations, large and small, delivering training and consultancy services. Some recent clients and funders include:
Our History and How We’re Organised
FCT is a Community Interest Company, run by a small, dedicated, team of staff and Directors.
We started in 2009 as a vehicle for farmers to connect with other farmers to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. At the time, there was no farmer-led organisation providing practical support for farmers on the subject of climate change - or providing a clear farmer-informed platform on the importance and urgency to tackle climate change.
Since then, we’ve worked to inform and enable farmers to improve their environmental sustainability, increase farm energy resilience and future proof their business.
We acknowledge that although there is an increasing focus on carbon, it can be a challenging topic for farmers and organisations to understand and navigate; especially when shifting management practices, and assessing the impact on the wider business as well as the carbon performance.
- In every project, our mission is to provide a practical, scientifically robust and accurate approach with guidance and outputs that are high-quality, accessible and easy-to-understand.
- We are committed to supporting farmers, businesses and organisations to understand and take action on their farm business’ greenhouse gas emissions.
- Working collaboratively with clients, we pride ourselves on being an organisation that is run by farmers for farmers.
- We aim for the highest levels of accuracy and integrity in our work. We carry out our research and analysis in an objective and impartial way; giving a fair and balanced report of our findings.
- We strive for clear and consistent communication with clients and partners.