It was very hard work, but we have shortlisted six farmers as finalists for the 2023 Soil Farmer of the Year competition!
Organised by the Farm Carbon Toolkit and Innovation for Agriculture — and generously sponsored by Hutchinsons and Cotswold Seeds — the Soil Farmer of the Year Competition helps to identify, promote, and champion UK farmers who are passionate about safeguarding their soils and building resilient businesses.
This year we had so many wonderful entries that we have decided to award ‘Highly Commended’ to those farmers and growers who impressed the judges, but unfortunately didn’t quite make the shortlist. Well done to them all!
We really are grateful to everyone who took the time and effort to enter and who helped make this such a difficult competition to judge, as well as to our kind sponsors.
The 2023 Soil Farmer of the Year Finalists:
- Richard Antony, R&L Anthony Ltd, Bridgend
- Debbie Wilkins, Norton Court Farm, Gloucestershire
- Ed Horton, Poulton fields Farm, Gloucestershire
- Stuart Johnson, West Wharmley Farm, Hexham
- Andrew Jackson, Holme Hall Farm, Lincolnshire
- Bronagh O’Kane, Drumard Farm, Cookstown
- Jonathan Hodgson, Great Newsome Farm, East Yorkshire
- John Sansome, Woodfield Farm, Worcestershire
- Will Oliver, Swepstone Fields Farm, Leicestershire
- Robert Neave, The Manor, Lincolnshire
The judges have already started visiting the finalists this week to learn more about their farming practices and we’ll announce the winners at a special event at the Groundswell Show and Conference at 5.30pm on 28 June 2023.
The winning farms will also host open farm walks later in the year, bringing farmers together to share best practice and innovations that improve soil health.
Stay tuned for more info!